PhD Student - Identification of a holistic optimum charging strategy for BEV considering renewable energies and charging flexibility (m/f/d)Apply
PhD Student - Identification of a holistic optimum charging strategy for BEV considering renewable energies and charging flexibility (m/f/d)
Student & Talent Programs
At CARIAD, it’s our mission to transform automotive mobility for everyone, everywhere, making it safer, more sustainable, and more comfortable in every way. To deliver on that promise, we’re building a unified technology and software platform, including a vehicle OS and cloud platform, as well as a unified architecture. As a 100% subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group, we’re developing solutions for all of its brands, including Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche, and will bring our software to over 40 million vehicles by 2030.
Is this an easy task? Not at all! To tackle such a huge challenge, we need a great team. And that’s where you come in. You’ll join more than 5,000 CARIDIANS already working on the latest vehicle features and functions like automated driving, state-of-the-art charging technology, as well as a new digital ecosystem. Together, we’re bringing sustainable change to one of the largest companies in the world.
The purpose of our PhD Program is to promote innovative topics that are relevant to CARIAD. We cooperate with top universities and bring new research projects to life. Our PhD candidates get the opportunity to develop and implement innovative ideas in their projects for CARIAD and the respective scientific field. The PhD projects are accompanied by a supervisor and a dedicated CARIAD mentor. Essential trainings are provided for the PhD candidates to complete the PhD Program.
For the "Charging & Energy" department, we are looking for a PhD student to work on the project “Smart network preserving load management & energy platform”. The departments focus on software & algorithms used in the car and car-backend to create the digital charging experience for users of the Volkswagen cars.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Research the state of development of EV charging and consolidate the current state of field trials in predevelopment projects across the VW group
- Analyze and simulate use cases for different scenarios for the charging strategy
- Identify a holistic optimum charging strategy (ie. utility analysis)
- Design and implement prototypes to validate the concept
- Conduct field trials under real life conditions to validate the functionalities
WHO YOU ARE
- Completion of Master's degree in: mechanical engineering, computer science, industrial engineering, electrical engineering or equivalent field
- Knowledge of renewable energy systems, smart grids and electric vehicles (related to charging)
- Familiarity in conceptualizing and prototyping of mechatronic systems
- Knowledge in simulation and familiarity with Matlab, python or relevant programming language
- Experience working with algorithm design to solve optimization problems
- Pro-active mindest and structured working style
- Fluent (written and verbal) in English. German would be highly beneficial
NICE TO KNOW
- Start date: flexible (with a fixed contract of three years)
- Flexible working hours and the opportunity to do remote work
- Attractive remuneration & compensation package
- Networking events, trainings & exciting workshops
- You get a fixed annual salary of (based on 13 months):
- Year 1: 42.380EUR (brutto)
- Year 2: 47.086 EUR (brutto)
- Year 3: 51.805 EUR (brutto)
- Important: The PhD admission requirements are set by the university and candidates have to fulfill these requirements before starting their projects. Candidates are responsible for finding a professor for supervision before joining Cariad. A written and signed confirmation by the designated supervisor is required before onboarding (not necessary for application).
- If you have further questions about the candidate journey at CARIAD, talk to Cari, our CARIAD Chatbot. Can’t see it? Check your settings or visit our FAQ
YOUR RECRUITING CONTACT
At CARIAD, we value individuality and diversity. We see great strength in our differences and can all benefit from the unique perspectives of others. We strive to employ people with diverse backgrounds who have the expertise, energy and focus to advance our mission. If you're unable to submit an application because of a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.Apply Now